Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Saved by the Belle

Another day down, three days of fun to go.  Drew and Gavin spent the night at Joelle's house last night and Isabelle spent the night with Gillian here.  They stayed up late watching Sleeping Beauty in my bed and eating popcorn (also in my bed).  I didn't mind so much about the popcorn as long as they didn't bug me.  

The whole day the only thing that Gillian asked me for was pancakes in the morning.  Bliss.  She and Belle played barbies, playdoh, Twister, and everything else they could think of.  I happily cleaned the house, did laundry, dishes, the usual.  Which made me think:  how could it possibly be a happy thing to be doing housework?  Maybe I was just thrilled that a 6 year old wasn't asking every 5 minutes what she could do fun.  I just need to have permanent house guests over for her on every no-school day.  But the splendid quiet ended the minute we drove out of Belle's driveway after dropping her off.  "Why didn't I get to spend the night at Isabelle's and Drew and Gavin did!"  This after a whole day of not whining.  "It's not fair!!  Drew and Gavin always get to sleep over there!!!!"  And of course my constant reassurances of "Gill, you really did have fun, and you and Isabelle had the whole house to yourselves all day long" didn't mean a thing. Wow, she has a set of lungs.  Loud lungs. Oh well, it couldn't last forever, but at least it is one more non-school day under my belt.

No comments: